How To Open Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover? Trying to open a bottle of Sally Hansen nail polish remover can be frustratingly difficult! The childproof caps are designed to prevent spills but as a result, they can be hard to twist off.
As a nail tech, I’ve seen many clients struggle with accessing the acetone they just purchased. But don’t worry – with the right techniques, you can easily get those caps off.
In this blog, I’ll share several methods I’ve found that work to open stuck Sally Hansen polish remover lids. I’ll also provide tips to make sealing and storing it easier once open. Read on to finally conquer that stubborn nail polish remover!
The Struggle is Real!
If you’ve ever wrestled with a sealed Sally Hansen polish remover container, you’re not alone. The tricky child-resistant caps are meant to avoid messy disasters. But they can lead to lots of grumbles and choice words when you can’t get them open!
The plastic caps have arrows and instructions to align and twist. But in reality, they rarely budge when twisted by hand. I’ve seen even the strongest folks struggle.
While a great safety feature, the ultra-tight seals make accessing the acetone inside feel impossible without injuring yourself or breaking the bottle. Not to mention chipping those pretty nails trying!
But after much trial-and-error and clients ready to throw in the towel, I’ve discovered several fool-proof methods to open these. Keep reading for my best tips and tricks!
To open Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover, you need to follow these steps:
- Twist the cap of the bottle to break the seal.
- Press down on the cap while turning it to open the bottle.
If it stuck, read on!
Method #1: Running Hot Water
One of my favorite techniques is using warm water to slightly soften the plastic cap first. Here are the simple steps:
- Run the capped bottle under hot tap water for 30-60 seconds.
- Dry the bottle off quickly with a towel so it’s easier to grip.
- While the plastic cap is still warm, twist firmly using the arrows aligned.
- The cap should twist open much more easily after heating!
The warm water makes the plastic cap expand ever so slightly, while cooling contracts it again for extra tightness. So heating it up helps loosen things for easier opening!
Method #2: Place Under Arm
Body heat works just as well as hot water for expanding and softening the lid. Follow these steps:
- Wedge the sealed Sally Hansen bottle under your arm for 1-2 minutes.
- Keep your arm pressed firmly against your body to transfer maximum warmth.
- The cap heats up and expands from your body temperature.
- Remove and quickly twist open using the arrows while still expanded.
Just a minute or two of warmth from your armpit can do the trick! This method is perfect if you don’t have access to hot water.
If you love Sally Hansen brand, discover here!
Method #3: Use a Rubber Grip
Rubber jar openers are amazing tools for popping off stubborn caps of all kinds. They work great for Sally Hansen polish removers too.
- Center the rubber grip over the cap and press down firmly.
- Turn the grip counter-clockwise – the extra traction helps twist open the cap.
- Keep turning until you feel the seal release its grip.
- Pull off the grip and cap should unscrew easily by hand after.
These handy grips are inexpensive and make opening tough bottles so much easier. Highly recommend keeping one in your nail kit!
Method #4: Tap Lid with Hammer
If all else fails, use a gentle tap with a hammer or mallet around the cap rim to break the airtight seal.
- Place cap side down on a hard, protected surface like scrap wood.
- Lightly tap completely around the cap rim with a hammer or mallet.
- Turn bottle right-side up and see if lid will now twist off more easily.
- Repeat gentle tapping if needed until the seal is released enough to open by hand.
The key is very light tapping – you don’t want to damage the cap or bottle. Just a series of little taps to disrupt the vacuum seal.
Storing Sally Hansen Remover After Opening
Once you finally get that stubborn lid off, you’ll want to close it securely after using to prevent spilling or drying out.
Here are my tips for getting it sealed up tight again:
- Make sure cap threads and rim are aligned properly before twisting. The arrows help guide.
- If it won’t close by hand, try tapping lid upside down on a hard surface to re-seal.
- For extra security, wrap a small rubber band around the neck once capped. This prevents accidental opening.
- Always store upright in a cool, dry place away from direct light and heat.
FAQs: How To Open Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover?
Is there a specific direction to twist the cap?
Yes, you should twist the outer ring counterclockwise to remove it and then turn the inner cap in the same direction to open the bottle.
Can I use a tool to open the bottle?
While it’s possible to use a tool, such as pliers, it’s recommended to follow the manual method described to avoid damaging the bottle or causing spills.
Are all Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover bottles child-resistant?
Yes, for safety reasons, most Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover bottles are designed with child-resistant caps.
Can I reuse the outer ring after opening the bottle?
No, the outer ring is designed for one-time use and should be discarded after removal.
Is it safe to use Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover on acrylic nails?
Yes, Sally Hansen Nail Polish Remover is generally safe to use on acrylic nails, but it’s essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and avoid prolonged exposure.
Getting into a sealed bottle of Sally Hansen nail polish remover can feel downright impossible at times. But with a little finesse and the right tricks, you can outsmart those childproof caps. Whether using heat, handy tools, or strategic tapping, the seal can be safely released so you can access the acetone inside.
Just be sure to close it securely afterwards and store properly to avoid unwanted spills or drying out. With some patience and technique, you can win the battle of the bottle and get your nails back to a pristine polish-free slate.
For more nail care tips and tricks, check out the Villa Nails blog for guides on achieving stunning DIY manicures, acquainting yourself with the latest trends and techniques, and keeping your tips looking healthy and fabulous.